Thursday 5 May 2011

Bonus Post: PCP Reflections

Because , naughty me, I had not blogged for a while I have decided to chuck in this extra blog before I pass out in bed (been a long day and I have just done 2.5hrs of pretty intense aikido practice) so I am veeeeeeery tired.

MY LEGS: ok here is one of the big wonders of PCP intensity and approach. Maybe Patrick has mentioned before, but one of the things that really predisposes us to have the ability to grow one muscle or another particularly well is genetics (this is particularly true of muscles like calves, where no matter how much work you put into them, if you are not blessed with genetics, they just will not grow). So naturally some of your muscles will develop and show easily with a bit of work, whilst others will require a really cunning and infernal stimulus to even show some minute improvement. Ok this was the case for me with quadriceps. I have done loads of really really heavy squats in my younger days, blasted them with supersets of all sorts until I could not stand...yet hardly any effect...legs really lagged.
Well here is the amazing news...using only my body weight (about only one third of the plates weight I used to load on the barbell for squats) my quads have grown and toned up much more in 70 days than in my peak 10yrs of weight training. Amazing.....still how? I mean, cannot be intensity as done loads of supersets before...cannot the stimulus as I used to use more weight...cannot be the nutrition as used to have a lot more protein in the context of a lean low carb diet...maybe is the type of exercises and the added bonus of rope jumps every day...
the flip sid eof that is my legs feel seriously tired most of the time...but so be it..

CORE: starting to noticed how strong my core has got!!. In the V sits or yoga boat posture...core stability is a breeze and I execute well balanced and effortless and even the 90min planks that I thought would be undoable now are reasonably ok...!

3 comments:

  1. What could it be Jose? Can you figure it out? I'll let you stew over it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it because they're being used daily? not sure what you've got in store for us by day 70, but i've found so far that doing either lunges or squats every day just keeps them working, but in different ways so maybe we're working all four muscles more than a few sets at the gym? either way, very encouraging.. mine are like sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jose... 90 min planks?... you're my god!!!
    hahahaha

    ReplyDelete